Sunday, July 27, 2008

I love me some old movies


So I just finished watching this delightful movie starring William Powell and Carole Lombard titled, " My Man Godfrey". It's a black and white filmed in 1936. I found it while browsing the feature film section at Archive.org which is a great way, I've discovered, to find fantastic old movies and shorts that you've probably never heard of. Yesterday evening I finally got around to watching another delight, "His Girl Friday", which I also found on the site (although I'd already planned on watching that one for some time now). There is something about old movies (pre-1970), especially black and whites, that I find very charming and comforting almost though I suppose that's mostly nostalgia. My mother was a huge fan of 50's and 60's movies especially those starring either Doris Day or Cary Grant. I used to sit up with her at night watching movies like, "Pillow Talk" or, one of my childhood favorites, "Funny Face". Although I never did become a fan of Doris Day, watching those old movies with her was always a good time. Those moments make up some of the better memories I have of my childhood. I loved (and still do) watching those passionate embraces and romantic love stories filled with so much joy and/or sorrow. Sometimes the plots were a little silly and the acting a bit cheesy, but I got swept up in it nonetheless and I still do. If you've never taken the time to sit down and watch a good classic such as "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "His Girl Friday" or "Rear Window", I truly recommend you take the time to do so; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by their warmth, their depth and their over all charming disposition. On that note, I think I'm going to pop in another one of my favorites, "Sabrina". I can never get enough of Audrey Hepburn and then throw in a little Humphry Bogart to boot and you've got yourself one hell of a movie. But don't take my word for it, pick up a copy of it for yourself sometime!

No comments: